top of page

Arlington Woman's Club

AWC Building Front.jpg

From a small group of energetic and passionate women, a dream grew to become the Arlington Woman's Club.  In May1950, ladies from six Arlington clubs met with Mayor B. C. Barnes and the Arlington Council seeking a joint meeting site.  Since the auditorium at City Hall was in poor condition and the city lacked funds for repairs, the ladies pledged to clean, paint and refurbish it for their use.  Permission was granted and "The Club Center" had its birth.

First, a barbeque was held in Arlington's only park, Meadowbrook.  It was a financial success!  Then, book reviews, luncheons, hot dog suppers and many other money-making events followed.  Donations and contributions spurred these ladies toward their goal.  Different groups used the Club Center.  In 1952, they united with the Red Cross Blood Mobile to express their community responsibility.  One hundred sixty-six people responded.  Another success!

Inside Front Entrance.jpg

In 1957, Arlington was experiencing explosive growth.  The city needed the auditorium and the ladies needed a meeting place.  The "Ten Dollar Tea" challenged these women to pay  a ten-dollar dues into the group.  Sixty ladies paid and by the end of the year, they had a total of two hundred thirty-two dollars.  This was the beginning of Arlington Woman's Club.  Mrs. Ruth Grundy, first president, led the club for a tremendous first year.  The club still thrives today as a cultural, educational and civic force in Arlington.

​

Many meeting places were used during the years, including homes, the First Presbyterian Manse and the Community Room at First National Bank.  In 1963, the Cooper House at Meadowbrook Park, built in 1878, was leased from the city.  The club restored the structure and furnished it in a style befitting its colonial architecture.  An historical marker was presented by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee in1965.

​

​

Disaster struck on Halloween night in 1998, when the Cooper House was devastated by fire.  During the homeless years, generous local organizations, such as Mission Arlington, the Masonic Temple and the Fielder Museum offered meeting and office space.   Our diligent membership held many fund-raising events until we opened our new building the first of September 2002 and continued them until a mortgage-burning celebration took place on October 31, 2004.  This milestone occurred six years after the loss of the Cooper House.  The Arlington Woman's Club has a permanent home at 1515 W. Abram Street in Arlington, Texas.

Cooper House.jpg
Meeting Room AWC.jpg

The Arlington Woman's Club is a recognized 501C3 organization.  The mission of this organization is to promote and develop the potential of its members through education and to benefit the community through its philanthropic projects.  Its purpose is solely educational and charitable.  AWC members give thousands of hours in community service.  The Club holds an annual major philanthropic event that requires the participation of all members.  Some of the organizations that have received funds from this event include Arlington Charities, Arlington Urban Ministries, Miracle League of DFW, Mission Arlington, Arlington Life Shelter, Christmas Samaritans, Safe Haven, grace After Fire, Families in Transition, H.O.P.E Tutoring, Reading is Fundamental and Helping Restore Abilities.

​The Arlington Woman's Club, under the direction of the Scholarship Committee, awards college scholarships to graduating seniors from Arlington high schools.  It is the goal of the Scholarship Committee to assist, nurture and develop these young adults in our community to achieve their full potential.  Scholarships have also been awarded from benefactors wishing to honor special individuals.  AWC has given over $460,500 since 2004.

​

The club welcomes new members and remains an important part of the fabric of the community and Arlington today.

​

Compiled by Ann Crozier

updated by Anita Copeland

AWC Historian 2013-2015

© 2023 Arlington Woman's Club. All rights reserved.

bottom of page